Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Last lunch at Rasa express

I'm moving jobs next week so I decided to pay one last visit to one of my favourite lunch spots near the current office - Rasa Express.

Nowhere divides opinion in the team as much as Rasa. It's the marmite of lunch spots. To some (including myself and my good friend and colleague Patrick) it's the highest expression of a working lunch - fast, hot, healthy, delicious and cheap. To others it's a filthy dive serving cheapo food.

So let me explain why I sit comfortably in the first camp. The concept is a "lunch box". You can have meat or vegetarian, and I always go for the veggie option (OK - I'll admit that I don't quite trust this place with meat - you should always be suspicious of cheap meat).

The veggie box comes it at £2.95 (meat box is £3.50) - that's about the price of a sandwich in your average poncy working lunch. For that you get a box with two curries, rice, chapati, a side dish and a dessert. It's such a good deal you can't believe it - how does the place make any profit?

The box just hits the spot - the right balance of vegetables, proteins, carbs with something sweet to round it off.


The curries are nicely spiced - it's south indian cuisine so not too oily of overly hot - perfect at lunchtime.

As it was my last visit we marked the occasion by ordering a few additional items. We got some fish cutlets and a huge potato dhosa and left feeling satisfyingly stuffed, having spent just over a tenner for the both of us.

I really hope there's a place this good near my new office.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home