Monday, November 13, 2006

Fish and chips from Nautilus

AAaaahhh fish and chips. The british favourite.

You just can't beat fish and chips for sheer indulgence. It's the ultimate junk food. Fast, fatty and delicious.

You can pretty much deep fry anything and it will taste good, but fleshy, meaty white fishes really are the the best. If salmon is the king of the seas then cod is the king of the deep fat fryer. I know that we shouldn't be eating cod anymore, and I could go on for ages about declining fish stocks, but this is a food blog and not an environmentaly blog.

As it happens I had haddock (for not other reason than it had just come out of the fryer and looked better than the poor wilting cod in the keep warm tray), which is nearly as good and nearly as endangered.

Chip shop chips really take some beating too. Although I've developed a taste for "frites" recently, especially as they are done in Belgium where they crisp them up on a sort of wok after frying. The genius of chips is there simplicity. Let's face it, potatoes and cooking oil (or ideally beef dripping) can combine into a food that can rival most posh stuff. Foie gras is nice, but I reckon I speak for most of the british population when I say I can get as much if not more pleasure from a plate of chips, which only costs £1.

Fish sadly is now becoming a luxury food, thanks to depleting reserves, and my haddock and chips was about £7.

Nautilus is a good place for fish and chips. It's so close to my flat that it's basically smelling distance. It takes strong will at times not to dash in there for a plate of chips.

It is pretty much the sort of greasy chip shop you want to get your fish and chips from. It considers itself slightly upmarket, and the fish is probably fresher than some other places, which is important, but that's about as far as it's pretentions go. To all intents and purposes it's a chippy.

I love it more than is good for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home