Sunday, November 26, 2006

The Hare and Hounds - Lothersdale

Lousy British pub food is alive and well.

As I rambled round North Yorkshire with my dad on Saturday we decided to stop for a pub lunch in a little place called Lothersdale, near to Earby. I ordered a steak sandwich with chips.

What I got was an old school plasticy white chewy roll, full of very poor quality roasted silverside, and absolutely drenched in nasty tasting bisto gravy. Such was the amount of bisto that the already soggy roll became soggier, and it was impossible to eat the sandwich as a sandwich, lest the gloupy brown goo dripped all over my body.

The chips were frozen oven chips. Although chips are always enjoyable, no matter what variety, this is a bit of a poor show, and a throw back to what I thought was a bygone era of freezer to microwave/grill pub cooking.

Don't get me wrong, this was a very nice pub. It was homely, earthy and friendly and refreshingly unaffected by pretension.

I know what you think - you can't have your cake and eat it. If you want poncy ciabatta's in your pub then don't go to these traditional places. I'd point you towards the New Star Inn at Appletreewick where I had lunch on Friday:

http://freespace.virgin.net/gregory.collins/wharfedale/newinn.html

This is a great place. An old school unpretentious pub with old school unpretentious food. Good home made food, including meat pies, door step sandwiches jacket potatoes, and as many desserts options as main courses, covering about every favourite you could possibly want - treacle sponge, sticky toffee pudding, jam roly poly, banoffee pie. Plus an impressive list of real ales - this is pub nirvana.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home